Friday, April 8, 2011

The Name Game

In the absence of any adoption-related tasks at the moment, my husband and I have been going back to a game we have played for years: Name the Baby.  We can sit and discuss (translation: argue) over this topic for hours.  The fact that we have never come to any sort of agreement makes me wonder how we are ever going to resolve this.  If I were giving birth to the baby myself, I am somewhat certain that I could play the “but I just suffered through nine months of pregnancy and twelve to twenty-four hours of painful labor” card to get my way, but that card is not in the hand I am holding.
At least neither of us is a teacher.  I remember sitting with a good friend and going through a baby name book when she was pregnant for the first time.  Name after name after name was rejected because she had had a child by that name in her class and it had negative connotations for her.
The main sticking point is that my husband feels that the baby ought to reflect our genetic heritage.  But not just for one of us, for both of us.  Which means my Swedish/Norwegian/Slovakian background and his Hungarian/Scottish/English/Dutch/whatever background do not intersect on any level. 
For example, I love the name Mia.  I could easily envision naming a baby girl Maria as a tip of the hat to both my mother and my sister, but using Mia as a nickname.  Nice, right?  I am told we can’t do that because neither one of is Italian.  I fail to see the logic in this, but I cannot seem to argue my point effectively enough.  Using this argument, our poor child would be dubbed Babygirl or Babyboy at birth and that would be it.
Using the ethnic heritage guideline, I suggest Bjorn.  I think my dad would have gotten a kick out of a grandson named Bjorn.  This is scoffed at, along with Sven, Stieg, and Borger.  My Swedish-ness is not powerful enough to overcome his objections.
I abandon the ethnic heritage theme and go to family names.  My husband’s first and middle names are Geoffrey and St. Ivan, with his middle name coming from his grandmother’s maiden name.  I think that is a cool name, plus it looked great on wedding invitations.  But I am told that he doesn’t want to name a son after himself, partly because he wants something that is easier to spell and partly because he feels it might in some way offend his older children, as if he loves them less because they don’t bear his name.
Biblical names are nice.  The name Isaac means "laughter" in Hebrew.  Knowing the two of us, this would be a very fitting name.  However, the 1970's kid in me thinks that I will always subconsciously be expecting my child to bring me a drink on the Lido deck.
I do strike gold with my next suggestion.  My father’s name was Bruce Ralph and his father’s name is Paul David.  We manage to agree on some combination thereof, probably Bruce David.  I only veer away from David Bruce because I suspect that Geoff would refer to him as “David the Bruce”, which he threatens to do.
On to girl’s names.  This is harder.  Our mothers names are Mary and Peggy.  I don’t even want to contemplate the family therapy if we chose one over the other.  (That being said, I love you both and would be honored to name a child after you.)  Also, my sister called dibs on Mary years ago, which hardly seems fair, but who am I to argue with dibs?
My paternal grandmother was named Ethel Victoria.  A lovely early-20th century name, but not one that I could see using in this day and age.  Names on my mother’s side of the family are very traditional.  Mary, Ann, Helen, Agnes, Margaret.  Lovely names, all.  My grandmother was named Mary Magdalene.  This is beautiful and meaningful, but perhaps a bit….much.  I file away several of these names for future arguments.
I curse my stupidity at ruining the chances of using several of my favorite names.  Since I was a kid, I always loved the name Mollie.  I just picture a little girl in pigtails and overalls, swinging on a tire that hangs from a tree, when I hear the name.  But as anyone who knows me already knows, my beloved Scottie dog was named Mollie and I can’t imagine having to explain that to a future child.  “I loved you so much when you were born that I named you after the dog.”  (It would give my child something to talk to Oprah about, anyway.)  The same goes with another favorite name, Rosie, the name of one of our adopted greyhounds.
It turns out that we both love the name Alexandra.  It seems we are getting close to an agreement when he mentions that he thinks Xandy is a good nickname.  Not Sandy.  Xandy.  Back to the drawing board.
My husband had a very close relationship with his grandmother, whose name was Margit.  I like it and I suspect he would agree to using that name.  Maggie would be a good nickname.  Now if I can only keep thoughts of my aunt’s Dachshund out of my mind……

11 comments:

  1. As long as you don't go ith Margaret Mary - sorry that name makes me laugh! But I feel your pain darlin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Alexandra and had always thought of this as a girl's name and then nick name her Alex. I always loved boys names for girls for some reason. Joey for Josephine... I saw a really cute name the other day for a girl that was a boy's name. Jordyn (I guess the y makes it more girlie)... hehe :)

    Great blog Kristen. I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know an Alexander called Sandy. Please don't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You HAVE put a lot of thought into this. My advice is that your kids always end up with nicknames that you never could guess anyway so it's a crap shoot. my Jack is really John, I didn't vote for that way and in retrospect, I hate having to tell everyone who calls his name off legal documents that it's not really John, it's Jack. I wanted Alexandria for my 4th child, we ended up with Alexa. I thought I'd call her Lexi, but she hates that and likes Lexa. I picked Amanda, but now her 2 yo brother calls her Mia and it's sticking. So that's an idea for you, a daughter named Amanda which is NOT italian, but you call her Mia! I couldn't figure out the heritage part either, so named my first son Scott after the Scottish heritage. You could try Slovak? or Swede?
    Lots of love on your journey....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, thank you for the laugh, I needed it so badly right now! When I read this I realized how much I missed your awesome sense of humor! I love the name Mia, have a friend with that name. I like Molly/Mollie too, but i see your point :). Alexandra is pretty - what about Lexi for a nickname, or Allie? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so Gopher and Julie and Merle would probably not work either- I had tears in my eyes from laughing because I could here you say this stuff.

    Love Bruce and as for a girl, I would offer you my name if you want it, but I do not think it meets any of the criteria either...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Granny...AGAIN???!!!!April 8, 2011 at 9:22 PM

    Here are the rest of the names on the family tree:
    On my mother's side: Margit, Klari,Lili,Josephine,Jenny,Fanny,Serena,
    Julia,Vera,Wilma,Katherine,Eva,Astrid,Anne-Marie. Arnold, Davis, Joseph, Heinrich (Henry), Max,Gustav,Bela, George.
    On my father's side: Dinora, Elsie,Janet,Babette,Fanny,Victoria,Caroline,
    Rosalie,Sarah,Edna,Miriam,Samuel,Marcus,Simon,
    George,Rudolph,Henry,Washington Irving,Victor Emmanuel, Max.
    On Dave's Mother's side: Edith,Naomi,Shirley,Emily,Beverly,Gertrude,
    Martha,Jean,Joanne,Queeda,Deidre,Amaryllis,Lois,Effie,Mae,Mary,Darlene,Rita,Linda,Rhonda,Debra,
    Jessica,Johanna,Deanna,Alison,Dawn,Mallory,
    Wilhelmina
    Kimberly,Danielle,Nicole,Ginger,Megan,Phyllis.
    Paul,David,John,Albert,Phillip,Harry,Stephen,
    William,Wesley,Wayne,Glen,Ryan,Randy,Richard,
    Theodore.
    There may be many others but this is enough!!!
    Margit is also a Swedish name as well as Hungarian.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a customer at work whose actual, legal first name is "Princess". Glad to see it is not on your list.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clearly, your priorities are in the right place. "It looked great on our wedding invitations." Love it!

    Beautifully written...thank you!
    Ames

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make me smile. :)

    I like Mia, Mollie/Molly (but some negative school connotations with that one), Alexandra (Lexi, Lex, Alex, Xandra)

    Either way, you'll find it. And congrats on the blog & the adoption, I must've missed that announcement. :)

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are very few names available that don't remind someone of someone else and incidents that bring the name an instant blackball.

    I, for instance, liked "Caroline" for Courtney's name ... Don could think of nothing but a sitcom, current at the time, "Caroline in the City." So, we have "Courtney" and he always thinks of Courtney Thorne Smith. This is okay in his book.

    On a side note, Don liked "Ashley" and "Ash" for short ... I think the name "Ashley" has been worn to death and didn't like it, refused, fought and put the proverbial foot down. As a type of poetic justice, neither of our kids could pronounce "sh" in their toddlerhood, always saying "sh" as "ss".

    And so you see, God was on my side.

    ReplyDelete